Send me mail & e-mail
I love hearing from readers! I can't always respond to all of your kind notes and questions, but I read and appreciate each and every one. Email me using the form below or send fan mail, fan art, and other paper mail to:
PO Box 1422
Asheville, NC 28802
For questions regarding foreign and subsidiary rights, please contact:
For questions regarding publicity & speaking events, please contact:
For YOUNG ADULT and ADULT audiences:
Alexandra Primiani, Publicist, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
For MIDDLE GRADE audiences (The Secret Horses of Briar Hill):
Emily Bamford, Associate Publicist, Random House Children's Books
School & Library Speaking Events
I love stepping away from my writing desk and meeting readers in the real world. If you'd like to schedule me for a school, library, or other event, email me via the Contact tab on this website.
- "The Writing Life" presentation and reading. I discuss my path to publication, go in-depth on the life of a writer, my personal writing and editing process, and discuss ideas and fun facts behind The Madman's Daughter series, The Cage series, and The Secret Horses of Briar Hill, with a Q&A. Reading from selected works optional. 30-60 minutes. Recommended for pre-teens, teens, or adults.
- "Adapting a Classic" presentation. I discuss the philosophy and process behind retelling a classic novel, myth, or fairy tale for a modern teen audience, including the various styles of retellings, considerations, and research. 45-60 minutes. Recommended for teens or adults.
- "Choose Your Own Adventure" interactive writing workshop. I open by talking to teens about a writer's life and how I became an author, then we discuss the four key elements of story, collaborate on creating a story framework together, then each do a writing exercise. 60-120 minutes. Recommended for pre-teens and teens.
- "Writing and Publishing YA" workshop. I discuss both the craft portion of writing for teens and the business side, focusing on the many avenues of publication (indie publishing, transitional publishing, hybrid publishing), how to find an agent, the common tropes and rules of YA, and the philosophy of writing for teens. 60-120 minutes. Can be tailored to teens or adults.
- Other programs: if you would like a program on a specific topic not listed above, I would be happy to work with you to tailor a presentation or workshop to your audience. Because this requires new content creation, I charge an additional $250 to design new programs.
- $1000 per day plus travel expenses (mileage and/or flight, hotel costs), with up to three events per day.
- For book festivals, conferences, and book fairs, I often waive my speaking fee. Please contact my publicist(s) for more information.
- I donate free visits for local schools (Buncombe, Henderson, and Transylvania counties) whenever possible, however I limit the number I do each year, so try to plan as far out as you can.
- At this time, I do not do Skype visits, but will send signed bookmarks to your school or library book club. (max 30 bookmarks).
*Note: If your school or library would like to have me come but cannot afford the full fee, please contact me and we can negotiate. Also keep an eye on my events page, as I often do free bookstore and festival presentations around the state and country.